new module-info.class & tomcat-embed-programmatic.jar in 9.0.38 embed distribution.

new module-info.class & tomcat-embed-programmatic.jar in 9.0.38 embed distribution.

marc.davenport
I'm doing a simple upgrade from 9.0.35 to 9.0.38 embed. I notice some
significant changes that I don't see listed in the changelog.

Until 9.0.37 tomcat-embed-core.jar did not have a module-info. Now in
9.0.38 it does.  This changes the modules I need to require when using
it. This may be the right way to be doing thing all along, but it does
feel like a significant change and not a simple upgrade with a version bump.

There is also a new tomcat-embed-programmatic.jar in the
apache-tomcat-9.0.38-embed.zip distribution but it does not seem to be
available alone in maven central:
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.tomcat.embed

Re: new module-info.class & tomcat-embed-programmatic.jar in 9.0.38 embed distribution.

markt

On 07/10/2020 18:29, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm doing a simple upgrade from 9.0.35 to 9.0.38 embed. I notice some
> significant changes that I don't see listed in the changelog.

There are covered by the entry for bug 64540.

> Until 9.0.37 tomcat-embed-core.jar did not have a module-info. Now in
> 9.0.38 it does.  This changes the modules I need to require when using
> it. This may be the right way to be doing thing all along, but it does
> feel like a significant change and not a simple upgrade with a version
> bump.
>
> There is also a new tomcat-embed-programmatic.jar in the
> apache-tomcat-9.0.38-embed.zip distribution but it does not seem to be
> available alone in maven central:
> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.tomcat.embed

I suspect the new JAR was added to the main build script but not the
script that does the Maven upload.

That should be something we can fix for the November release round.

On 10/7/20 1:51 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 07/10/2020 18:29, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I'm doing a simple upgrade from 9.0.35 to 9.0.38 embed. I notice some
>> significant changes that I don't see listed in the changelog.
> There are covered by the entry for bug 64540.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I didn't understand the
implications of that note.

>> Until 9.0.37 tomcat-embed-core.jar did not have a module-info. Now in
>> 9.0.38 it does.  This changes the modules I need to require when using
>> it. This may be the right way to be doing thing all along, but it does
>> feel like a significant change and not a simple upgrade with a version
>> bump.
>>
>> There is also a new tomcat-embed-programmatic.jar in the
>> apache-tomcat-9.0.38-embed.zip distribution but it does not seem to be
>> available alone in maven central:
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.tomcat.embed__;!!GqivPVa7Brio!Mrj4iTWd6AiGf5VPU0EyhkGtFSZfsmaM_UC7lBc_eDHuZc2GpP9iUTE2VAucYNb_A5U$
> I suspect the new JAR was added to the main build script but not the
> script that does the Maven upload.
>
> That should be something we can fix for the November release round.

What is the intention for this new jar?

On 07/10/2020 19:47, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 10/7/20 1:51 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>
>> On 07/10/2020 18:29, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> I'm doing a simple upgrade from 9.0.35 to 9.0.38 embed. I notice some
>>> significant changes that I don't see listed in the changelog.
>> There are covered by the entry for bug 64540.
>
> Ah, thank you for the clarification. I didn't understand the
> implications of that note.
>

>>> Until 9.0.37 tomcat-embed-core.jar did not have a module-info. Now in
>>> 9.0.38 it does.  This changes the modules I need to require when using
>>> it. This may be the right way to be doing thing all along, but it does
>>> feel like a significant change and not a simple upgrade with a version
>>> bump.
>>>
>>> There is also a new tomcat-embed-programmatic.jar in the
>>> apache-tomcat-9.0.38-embed.zip distribution but it does not seem to be
>>> available alone in maven central:
>>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.tomcat.embed__;!!GqivPVa7Brio!Mrj4iTWd6AiGf5VPU0EyhkGtFSZfsmaM_UC7lBc_eDHuZc2GpP9iUTE2VAucYNb_A5U$
>>>
>> I suspect the new JAR was added to the main build script but not the
>> script that does the Maven upload.
>>
>> That should be something we can fix for the November release round.
>
> What is the intention for this new jar?

I believe it is intended for use in environments (Graal) where you don't
want to use reflection (i.e. standard XML configuration files) to
configure Tomcat.

On 10/7/20 2:50 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 07/10/2020 19:47, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> There are covered by the entry for bug 64540.
>> Ah, thank you for the clarification. I didn't understand the
>> implications of that note.

The annotations-api.jar module-info is using the java namespace?

open module java.annotation {
   requires java.base;

   exports javax.annotation;
   exports javax.annotation.security;
   exports javax.annotation.sql;
}

On 07/10/2020 20:55, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 10/7/20 2:50 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> Ah, thank you for the clarification. I didn't understand the
>>> implications of that note.
>
> The annotations-api.jar module-info is using the java namespace?

That is probably a typo. I'll take a look.

Mark

On 08/10/2020 09:20, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 07/10/2020 20:55, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> The annotations-api.jar module-info is using the java namespace?
>
> That is probably a typo. I'll take a look.

Nope. Just confirmed with the reference implementation release that the
JPMS name is "java.annotation"

On 07/10/2020 18:51, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 07/10/2020 18:29, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I'm doing a simple upgrade from 9.0.35 to 9.0.38 embed. I notice some
>> significant changes that I don't see listed in the changelog.
>
> There are covered by the entry for bug 64540.
>
>> Until 9.0.37 tomcat-embed-core.jar did not have a module-info. Now in
>> 9.0.38 it does.  This changes the modules I need to require when using
>> it. This may be the right way to be doing thing all along, but it does
>> feel like a significant change and not a simple upgrade with a version
>> bump.
>>
>> There is also a new tomcat-embed-programmatic.jar in the
>> apache-tomcat-9.0.38-embed.zip distribution but it does not seem to be
>> available alone in maven central:
>> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.tomcat.embed
>
> I suspect the new JAR was added to the main build script but not the
> script that does the Maven upload.
>
> That should be something we can fix for the November release round.

I should have spotted that you were using mvnrepository.com. That site
should not be considered reliable. It is often missing (recently?)
released JARs.

You should use the Maven Central repository at:
https://search.maven.org/

The tomcat-embed-programmatic.jar is available in that repo.