Quantcast

proxy_ajp

Mark Dewey
I am currently using proxy ajp successfully and very happy with the
simplicity of configuration compared to my experiences a few years ago!
I have run into a problem however.

I have two version of tomcat running on one of the servers. Here is the
configuration -:

ProxyPass /tc1/ ajp://www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8009/
ProxyPass /tc2/ ajp://www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8007/

I believe the second tomcat is configured correctly in server.xml to use
8007

I assumed it would be possible to use arbitrary ports, in this case
8007, but it is refusing to work. Could anyone please tell me if there
is a reason why this wont work or indeed if it should work.

[Wed Jun 25 13:04:22 2008] [error] (13)Permission denied: proxy: AJP: attempt to connect to www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8007 (www.xxx.yyy.zzz) failed
[Wed Jun 25 13:04:22 2008] [error] ap_proxy_connect_backend disabling worker for (www.xxx.yyy.zzz)
[Wed Jun 25 13:04:22 2008] [error] proxy: AJP: failed to make connection to backend: www.xxx.yyy.zzz

Thanks

Re: proxy_ajp

Mikolaj Rydzewski-2
Mark Dewey wrote:

> I am currently using proxy ajp successfully and very happy with the
> simplicity of configuration compared to my experiences a few years
> ago! I have run into a problem however.
>
> I have two version of tomcat running on one of the servers. Here is
> the configuration -:
>
> ProxyPass /tc1/ ajp://www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8009/
> ProxyPass /tc2/ ajp://www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8007/
>
> I believe the second tomcat is configured correctly in server.xml to
> use 8007
>
> I assumed it would be possible to use arbitrary ports, in this case
> 8007, but it is refusing to work. Could anyone please tell me if there
> is a reason why this wont work or indeed if it should work.
What do the logs say? Did you change shutdown port as well?

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <[hidden email]>

Re: proxy_ajp

Mark Thomas-2
Mark Dewey wrote:

> I am currently using proxy ajp successfully and very happy with the
> simplicity of configuration compared to my experiences a few years ago!
> I have run into a problem however.
>
> I have two version of tomcat running on one of the servers. Here is the
> configuration -:
>
> ProxyPass /tc1/ ajp://www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8009/
> ProxyPass /tc2/ ajp://www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8007/
>
> I believe the second tomcat is configured correctly in server.xml to use
> 8007

That should be fine. Can you show us the connector config from server.xml
please?

Re: proxy_ajp

Mark Dewey
Hi Mark,

server.xml is as follows -:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<Server port="8003" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"
SSLEngine="on" />
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.JasperListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener" />

  <GlobalNamingResources>

              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
              pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <Service name="Catalina">

    <Connector port="8090" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8444" />
    <Connector port="8007" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8444" />

             resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
      </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Thomas wrote:

> Mark Dewey wrote:
>> I am currently using proxy ajp successfully and very happy with the
>> simplicity of configuration compared to my experiences a few years
>> ago! I have run into a problem however.
>>
>> I have two version of tomcat running on one of the servers. Here is
>> the configuration -:
>>
>> ProxyPass /tc1/ ajp://www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8009/
>> ProxyPass /tc2/ ajp://www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8007/
>>
>> I believe the second tomcat is configured correctly in server.xml to
>> use 8007
>
> That should be fine. Can you show us the connector config from
> server.xml please?

Re: proxy_ajp

Mark Dewey
[Wed Jun 25 *13*:04:22 2008] [error] (*13*)*Permission* *denied*:
*proxy*: *AJP*: attempt to connect to www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8007
(www.xxx.yyy.zzz) failed
[Wed Jun 25 *13*:04:22 2008] [error] ap_proxy_connect_backend disabling
worker for (www.xxx.yyy.zzz)
[Wed Jun 25 *13*:04:22 2008] [error] *proxy*: *AJP*: failed to make
connection to backend: www.xxx.yyy.zzz

I have changed the shutdown port to 8003 and neither servers are using SSL

Mark Dewey wrote:

> [Wed Jun 25 *13*:04:22 2008] [error] (*13*)*Permission* *denied*:
> *proxy*: *AJP*: attempt to connect to www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8007
> (www.xxx.yyy.zzz) failed
> [Wed Jun 25 *13*:04:22 2008] [error] ap_proxy_connect_backend
> disabling worker for (www.xxx.yyy.zzz)
> [Wed Jun 25 *13*:04:22 2008] [error] *proxy*: *AJP*: failed to make
> connection to backend: www.xxx.yyy.zzz
>
> I have changed the shutdown port to 8003 and neither servers are using
> SSL
Does the second Tomcat really work? Are you able to connect using http
connectors to both Tomcats?

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <[hidden email]>

Re: proxy_ajp

Mark Dewey
Hi yes I am.

I get both over http and the usual white page for the ajp ports.

Cheers,
Mark

Mikolaj Rydzewski wrote:

> Mark Dewey wrote:
>> [Wed Jun 25 *13*:04:22 2008] [error] (*13*)*Permission* *denied*:
>> *proxy*: *AJP*: attempt to connect to www.xxx.yyy.zzz:8007
>> (www.xxx.yyy.zzz) failed
>> [Wed Jun 25 *13*:04:22 2008] [error] ap_proxy_connect_backend
>> disabling worker for (www.xxx.yyy.zzz)
>> [Wed Jun 25 *13*:04:22 2008] [error] *proxy*: *AJP*: failed to make
>> connection to backend: www.xxx.yyy.zzz
>>
>> I have changed the shutdown port to 8003 and neither servers are
>> using SSL
> Does the second Tomcat really work? Are you able to connect using http
> connectors to both Tomcats?

Re: proxy_ajp

Mikolaj Rydzewski-2
Mark Dewey wrote:
> Hi yes I am.
>
> I get both over http and the usual white page for the ajp ports.
I'd play with <Location> configuration element and balancer
configuration to see whether it will work.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <[hidden email]>

Re: proxy_ajp

Re: proxy_ajp

Rainer Jung-3
Christopher Schultz schrieb:

> Mark,
>
> Mark Dewey wrote:
> |    <Connector port="8090" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
> |               connectionTimeout="20000"
> |               redirectPort="8444" />
> |    <Connector port="8007" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8444" />
>
> Is it possible that you have a firewall or iptables in the way? Can you
> telnet from the httpd machine to the app server over port 8007 (or 8009,
> depending on the server)?

He should definitely try that. But I find strange, that errno is "13",
which is EACCESS. The failing call should be connect() inside
apr_socket_connect(). man pages on my Linux/Unix systems consistently
tell me for connect():

EACCES Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix;
or write access to the named socket is denied.

Hmmmm.

I guess this would be better discussed first on [hidden email],
and if no solution comes from there open an issue against httpd in the
ASF bugzilla.

Regards,

Rainer