Quantcast

remote jconsole connection did not succeed

remote jconsole connection did not succeed

ivarss
Hi *,
in this setup there are two tomcat 6.0.18 instances each running on
separate windows 2003 server with Sun JDK 1.6.0_12.
I have configured JMX console access pretty much the standard way on
both systems, with switches:
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9004

The funny thing is that I can connect to one Tomcat both locally and
remotely, but only locally to other Tomcat instance (that is, from the
same system and to local process).
If I try to connect remotely to that instance, connection fails with
message "the connection did not succeed".
I dont even have a clue what to look for :(
Both servers are nearly identical and run the same webapps.
Thanks for your time,
Ivars

Re: remote jconsole connection did not succeed

ivarss
Martin Gainty wrote:
> possibly firewall issue from client:
> netstat -aon | grep 9004
> do you see anything coming up?
nope, I can connect just fine:

ivarss@poga:~$ telnet hostname 9004
Trying 192.168.0.3...
Connected to hostname.domain
Escape character is '^]'.

Ivars

> > Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:36:38 +0200
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: remote jconsole connection did not succeed
> >
> > Hi *,
> > in this setup there are two tomcat 6.0.18 instances each running on
> > separate windows 2003 server with Sun JDK 1.6.0_12.
> > I have configured JMX console access pretty much the standard way on
> > both systems, with switches:
> > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
> > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9004
> > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
> > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
> >
> > The funny thing is that I can connect to one Tomcat both locally and
> > remotely, but only locally to other Tomcat instance (that is, from the
> > same system and to local process).
> > If I try to connect remotely to that instance, connection fails with
> > message "the connection did not succeed".
> > I dont even have a clue what to look for :(
> > Both servers are nearly identical and run the same webapps.
> > Thanks for your time,
> > Ivars

RE: remote jconsole connection did not succeed

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: Ivars Strazdiņš [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: remote jconsole connection did not succeed
>
> If I try to connect remotely to that instance, connection
> fails with message "the connection did not succeed".

This is usually the firewall blocking the secondary (and unpredictable) JMX port.  See the discussion here:
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=122277270626801&w=2

If you can't turn off the firewall, the enhancement should be available in the next Tomcat 6.0 release, or you could just pick it up from svn and build it in.

 - Chuck

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: Ivars Strazdiņš [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Subject: remote jconsole connection did not succeed
>>
>> If I try to connect remotely to that instance, connection
>> fails with message "the connection did not succeed".
>>

> This is usually the firewall blocking the secondary (and unpredictable) JMX port.  See the discussion here:
> http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=122277270626801&w=2
>
> If you can't turn off the firewall, the enhancement should be available in the next Tomcat 6.0 release, or you could just pick it up from svn and build it in.

Well, could it be anything else because firewall is turned off on that
server?
Ivars