Quantcast

requested resource not available

tomcat-13
I am running Tomcat 5.5.26, Java 1.6.0_13, and Centos 5.2 64 bit.

I am really stumped, getting "The requested resource not
available". I Googled and found quite items on this topic and
everything points to an incorrect path. I have checked all the
paths I can find, and am not finding the problem.

I have another box with this successfully installed and as far as I
can tell the 2 installations are identical, except one works and
one does not.

Any ideas? Please let me know, thanks for your help,

Brad

RE: requested resource not available

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: requested resource not available
>
> I am running Tomcat 5.5.26, Java 1.6.0_13, and Centos 5.2 64 bit.

Thanks for telling us that; an amazing number of people fail to do so.

> I am really stumped, getting "The requested resource not
> available".

When you do what?  Where is that message displayed?  Have you looked in the Tomcat logs?

If the message is being displayed by a browser, is there a firewall blocking the access?

 - Chuck

RE: requested resource not available

tomcat-13
Thank you for your help, Chuck.

I get the message when trying to access the application through a
browser. I did try with and without the firewall enabled on the
server, and nothing changed. I am not sure I have Tomcat logging
set up correctly, so I have not learned anything there.

I am brand new to Tomcat, as you can probably tell.

Brad

On Tue, 12 May 2009 14:34:10 -0500 "Caldarale, Charles R"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Subject: requested resource not available
>>
>> I am running Tomcat 5.5.26, Java 1.6.0_13, and Centos 5.2 64
>bit.
>
>Thanks for telling us that; an amazing number of people fail to do
>so.
>
>> I am really stumped, getting "The requested resource not
>> available".
>
>When you do what?  Where is that message displayed?  Have you
>looked in the Tomcat logs?
>
>If the message is being displayed by a browser, is there a
>firewall blocking the access?
>
> - Chuck
>

>THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE
>PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended
>recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the
>sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all
>computers.

RE: requested resource not available

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: RE: requested resource not available
>
> I am not sure I have Tomcat logging set up correctly,
> so I have not learned anything there.

For a standard Tomcat installation (downloaded from tomcat.apache.org), there's really nothing to set up; the log files will be in Tomcat's logs directory.  If you're using a 3rd-party repackaged version of Tomcat, there's no telling where the log files might be.

Assuming you can find the logs, try updating conf/server.xml to remove the comment markers around the AccessLogValve and restart Tomcat.  The logs will then show whether or not the request is even reaching Tomcat.

 - Chuck

RE: requested resource not available

tomcat-13
Ok, I did that and here is what I got:

[root@li54-122 bin]# less ../logs/localhost_access_log.2009-05-
12.txt
70.249.74.9 - - [12/May/2009:16:17:00 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200
347
70.249.74.9 - - [12/May/2009:16:17:00 -0400] "GET /pentaho/
HTTP/1.1" 404 979

On Tue, 12 May 2009 15:11:15 -0500 "Caldarale, Charles R"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Subject: RE: requested resource not available
>>
>> I am not sure I have Tomcat logging set up correctly,
>> so I have not learned anything there.
>
>For a standard Tomcat installation (downloaded from
>tomcat.apache.org), there's really nothing to set up; the log
>files will be in Tomcat's logs directory.  If you're using a 3rd-
>party repackaged version of Tomcat, there's no telling where the
>log files might be.
>
>Assuming you can find the logs, try updating conf/server.xml to
>remove the comment markers around the AccessLogValve and restart
>Tomcat.  The logs will then show whether or not the request is
>even reaching Tomcat.
>
> - Chuck
>

>THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE
>PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended
>recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the
>sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all
>computers.

RE: requested resource not available

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: RE: requested resource not available
>
> [root@li54-122 bin]# less ../logs/localhost_access_log.2009-05-
> 12.txt
> 70.249.74.9 - - [12/May/2009:16:17:00 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200
> 347
> 70.249.74.9 - - [12/May/2009:16:17:00 -0400] "GET /pentaho/
> HTTP/1.1" 404 979

Are those the requests you expected to see?  Do they correspond to the URLs you submitted from the browser?

Do you have a webapp named pentaho deployed?  If so, does it have a welcome page under its first-level directory?  If not, do you have a servlet mapping for it that should have handled all requests?

Have you followed the guidelines for webapp deployment described in the doc?
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/appdev/index.html

 - Chuck

RE: requested resource not available

tomcat-13
Those are the requests I expected to see, they do correspond to the
URLs I entered in the browser.

I am deploying a preconfigured version of Pentaho that I found
here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=140317&package
_id=160028&release_id=648414

I deployed this exact same package on my development box with no
problems. The preconfigured installation of Tomcat does appear (to
me at least) to follow the deployment guidelines on the link you
sent.