Quantcast

service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

andrew-245
I have been running Tomcat 6.0.18 successfully on Windows Server 2003 for several weeks now using startup.bat.  I just got around to trying to install it as a service using the instructions at

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html

I see the Notice at the top of the page saying that this is now obsolete, but I didn't know that when I started, and would like to avoid the hassle of starting from scratch with the Windows Service Installer (apache-tomcat-6.0.18.exe) if possible.

The symptom I see is that I get "Access is denied." when catalina.bat finally executes the call to tomcat6.exe.  I've echoed the command line and all the parameters appear to be correct.

I'm hoping that there is an easy to fix Windows permissions issue here, but I've been unable to find any relevant posts in my searches.  (I am running
service.bat as Administrator.)  Does anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks, andrew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: andrew [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)
>
> I see the Notice at the top of the page saying that this is
> now obsolete

They're obsolete primarily because service.bat does it all for you; as far as I can tell, it's just procrun 1.0 that's obsolete, not the instructions.

> The symptom I see is that I get "Access is denied." when
> catalina.bat finally executes the call to tomcat6.exe.

Why do you say "catalina.bat"?  Did you mean service.bat?

> I've echoed the command line and all the parameters appear
> to be correct.

What are they?

Try commenting out the @echo off at the top of service.bat so you can see the path it takes through the script.

> I'm hoping that there is an easy to fix Windows permissions
> issue here

Are you positive you're running as administrator?

Do you already have Tomcat installed as a service?  (The service name is normally 'Tomcat6'.)  If so, try removing it first using the Services snap-in.

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

andrew-245
Thanks Chuck.  All good suggestions, but I _think_ I went through each one
before posting my first message.

> Why do you say "catalina.bat"?  Did you mean service.bat?

I'm sorry, you are right.  Before posting, I stepped through the execution
of BOTH "service.bat install" and "startup.bat".  The former is the one that
fails, and since the latter has worked flawlessly from the start, I hoped
that I might find a clue to my problem in comparing the two.  startup.bat
DOES call catalina.bat, which is why it was on my mind.  But I meant to type
service.bat in my post.  Again, sorry for the confusion.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you know, I discovered that %EXECUTABLE% resolves
to tomcat6.exe in service.bat, but resolves to java.exe in
startup.bat/catalina.bat. So I can't directly compare the command line
parameters.  That said, all the paths, etc. in the batch file execution
appear to be correct for my environment.

> What are they?

Here is what gets invoked:

>>>
"C:\software\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\bin\tomcat6.exe"
//IS//Tomcat6 --StartClass org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopClass
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams start --StopParams stop
<<<

I infer from reading service.bat that, in addition to the command line
parameters, tomcat6.exe also reads a bunch of environment variables.  I
checked how each of these are set by service.bat (before calling
tomcat6.exe); they appear to be correct.

> Try commenting out the @echo off at the top of service.bat so you can see
> the path it takes through the script.

Hopefully you can see that I've already tried hard to get my answer by doing
that.

> Are you positive you're running as administrator?

I can't see why not.  I'm logged in as Administrator, and everything else
that requires Administrator permissions works.  But I haven't confirmed this
with a process monitor.

> Do you already have Tomcat installed as a service?  (The service name is
> normally 'Tomcat6'.)  If so, try removing it first using the Services
> snap-in.

I did already check this carefully.  I have no service running with the
string 'tomcat' in either the Name or Description field.  I do have a *wild*
guess that this problem has something to do with userid that the tomcat
service uses to "Log On As".  Usually this is something like, "Local System"
or "Network Service".  Perhaps I am not granting needed permissions to some
user?

- andrew



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: andrew [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)
>
> I do have a *wild* guess that this problem has something to
> do with userid that the tomcat service uses to "Log On As".
> Usually this is something like, "Local System"

It's "Local System".

> Perhaps I am not granting needed permissions to some user?

Can't see how, unless there's something really locked down on your particular server.

I'm just throwing out things to look at here:

What account owns Tomcat's bin directory?  Does your the administrator account you're using have update access to the Windows registry?  Is it "the" Administrator account, or one that's a member of the Administrators Group?  Can you try running tomcat6.exe from a command line and specify a known valid account?

Are you sure you're not running on Vista?  (Just kidding :-)

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

andrew-245
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for all the rapid responses.  I guess it's good to know that I
haven't done anything blatantly stupid; unfortunately, I don't seem to be
closer to a solution.

> What account owns Tomcat's bin directory?

File/Directory permissions was another one of those things I checked right
away.  The Tomcat directory is owned by Administrator, gives Administrator
full control, and I've made sure that these permissions propagate to all
subfolders and files.

> Does your the administrator account you're using have update access to the
> Windows registry?

The answer to that has to be yes.  I use regedit a lot, and other programs
would have failed to install if not.

> Is it "the" Administrator account, or one that's a member of the
> Administrators Group?

It is "the" Administrator account.

> Can you try running tomcat6.exe from a command line and specify a known
> valid account?

I suppose, but most of the currently running services Log On As "Local
System" (so I guess that account is as "valid" as any for running services),
and you say the Tomcat service uses "Local System".  I do notice that the
"Log On As" user is not specified in the command line that gets executed,
but I assume "Local System" is the default.  Please let me know if this is
not the case and I'll try adding a --User="Local System" parameter.

> Are you sure you're not running on Vista?  (Just kidding :-)

Don't get me started.... ;-)

BTW, the documentation mentions procrun.exe, but I don't find that in the
distribution.  Is it correct that tomcat6.exe is just procrun.exe renamed?

andrew


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: andrew [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)
>
> It is "the" Administrator account.

Just for the sake of trying something, use a different account that is a member of the Administrators group.

> I assume "Local System" is the default.

It is.

> Is it correct that tomcat6.exe is just procrun.exe renamed?

Almost.  Full doc is here (it could be better organized):
http://commons.apache.org/daemon/
http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html

tomcat6.exe is really prunsrv, tomcat6w.exe is prunmgr.

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

andrew-245
Chuck,

If you're still out there, I'm "sort of" continuing the service install
thread.  I have managed to move on to a different problem (but not real
happy about how).

I pretty much gave up on the "Permission is denied." problem.  (I have
another vague thought about what was happening if you care, but not the time
or expertise to pinpoint the issue.)   I did a completely clean extract of
the 6.0.18 tar.gz archive, and tried to see if I could install the tomcat
service without having touched anything.  Had immediate success.

I thought I would be all set from there -- I could start deploying my apps
little by little and see where things broke.   Unfortunately, things didn't
go quite as planned.  What happens now is:

  1. "service.bat install" appears to work fine. (So progress, I guess.)  I
notice that it does not start the service, so I take care of that manually.

  2. Now, from a browser, if I visit http://localhost:8080 I get the Tomcat
Welcome Page as expected.  (Same as before deplying my app.)

  3.But if I visit http://localhost:8080/mytestapp the browser waits and
waits forever.

  4. Note that if I stop the Tomcat service, and then start Tomcat from a
console using startup.bat, everything works fine -- html, jsp, servlets, db
connection....  Also, there isn't so much as a warning, much less an error
message, on startup.

  5. Just to see if it is mytestapp that is causing the problem, I did a
completely clean extract again and tried to visit both
http://localhost:8080/examples and http://localhost:8080/docs .  I see the
exact same endless wait.  All these pages load fine if I start Tomcat using
startup.bat.


I have tried to debug this on my own a couple of ways so far without
success:

  1. I looked for a log file that might provide a clue.  I found the file
that the Tomcat service writes to when it starts and stops, but I could not
find a file in the logs directory that gets updated at all when I hit the
server from a browser.  Maybe I need to start with a debug parameter?  If
so, could you point me to info on this?

  2. Following the documentation, I unistalled the Tomcat service and tried
to run it as
          tomcat6.exe //TS//Tomcat6 --other-startup-params
      hoping I'd see clues go to the console.  Unfortunately, I get:
            > [2008-12-10 12:54:25] [427  prunsrv.c] [error]
            > The system cannot find the file specified.
            > [2008-12-10 12:54:25] [1336 prunsrv.c] [error]
            > Load configuration failed
      I took --other-startup-params from the trace of "service.bat install",
AND I was also careful to set all environment variables to the same values
that "service.bat install" sets them.  To confirm I didn't make a mistake, I
put my "tomcat6.exe //TS//..." in a batch file along with all the env set
commands.  If I change the //TS// to a //IS// the service installs
successfully, just like "service.bat install".  But if I change it back to
//TS//, I get the errors above.

Any chance you know of an easy fix for this one?  (Maybe two issues - the
failed //TS// seems different.)


Seperately, thank you much for the pointer you provided to the procrun page
in your last note -- this looks like it could be really useful. If you know
people who manage the online Tomcat docs, I'd suggest simply hyperlinking
the word "procrun" (on the windows-service-howto.html page) to the procrun
page.  This would help people like me a lot.

- andrew


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: andrew [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)
>
> I did a completely clean extract of the 6.0.18 tar.gz archive

I usually use the .zip for Windows, but it should be the same thing.

> I notice that it does not start the service, so I take care of
> that manually.

You can, of course, set the startup mode to automatic in the Services snap-in.

> 3. But if I visit http://localhost:8080/mytestapp the
> browser waits and waits forever.

Can you take a thread dump and see what's going on?  Do JConsole or JVisualVM show anything interesting (e.g., a thread looping or stuck on a lock)?

What happens if you configure the service to run under the same account you use when running Tomcat with the startup.bat script?  (Use the tomcat6w.exe program to set the account.)

> 4. Note that if I stop the Tomcat service, and then start
> Tomcat from a console using startup.bat, everything works
> fine -- html, jsp, servlets, db connection....

By "everything", do you mean mytestapp?

> Also, there isn't so much as a warning, much less an error
> message, on startup.

When running as a service, or as a regular program, or both?

> I did a completely clean extract again and tried to visit both
> http://localhost:8080/examples and http://localhost:8080/docs.
> I see the exact same endless wait.

But the Tomcat default home page works?  Is this page possibly just being cached by the browser?

> I could not find a file in the logs directory that gets updated
> at all when I hit the server from a browser.

You have to uncomment the AccessLogValve near the bottom of conf/server.xml.  However, I don't think this logs anything until a response is sent.

> 2. Following the documentation, I unistalled the Tomcat
> service and tried to run it as
> tomcat6.exe //TS//Tomcat6 --other-startup-params

I think you misunderstood the doc.  You have to use //IS// first to install the service, after which you can run it with //TS// from the command prompt.

> Any chance you know of an easy fix for this one?

Easy answer - no.  But there are a few more questions:

1) Is this a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows?

2) What JVM do have have installed?

3) When you run tomcat6w.exe, what does the Java tab show (all fields, please)?

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

Rainer Jung-3
Am 11.12.2008 05:19, schrieb Caldarale, Charles R:
>> From: andrew [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Subject: Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)
>>
>> I did a completely clean extract of the 6.0.18 tar.gz archive
>
> I usually use the .zip for Windows, but it should be the same thing.

I think you (Andrew) should use the zip on Windows, because a lot of
file have platform specific line endings in the tar.gz resp. .zip.

For example  the config files should differ. It depends on the tools you
use, whether that is transparent or an annoyance.

Regards,

Rainer

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

andrew-245
In reply to this post by Caldarale, Charles R
Chuck,

Thanks for your patience, and all the helpful information.

> > I did a completely clean extract of the 6.0.18 tar.gz archive
>
> I usually use the .zip for Windows, but it should be the same thing.

Well, I've been counting on them being the same, but another post suggests
that maybe there are line ending differences that create my problem.  I
think I'll try this with the .zip archive just to be sure.  If the .zip
archive works, I'll let you know.  I've never had a problem with .tar/.zip
differences in the past (that is, with apps other than Tomcat), but this
seems worth checking.  If using the .zip fixes my problem, it'll teach me to
stop using tar on Windows, I guess.

> > I notice that it does not start the service, so I take care of
>>  that manually.
>
> You can, of course, set the startup mode to automatic in the Services
> snap-in.

Yes, of course.  If it had worked after manual startup, that would be the
first thing I'd do.

> > 3. But if I visit http://localhost:8080/mytestapp the
> > browser waits and waits forever.
>
> Can you take a thread dump and see what's going on?  Do JConsole or
> JVisualVM show anything interesting (e.g., a thread looping or stuck on a
> lock)?
>
> What happens if you configure the service to run under the same account
> you use when running Tomcat with the startup.bat script?  (Use the
> tomcat6w.exe program to set the account.)

OK, will do.  Both of these are new to me though.  I've seen the Tomcat doc
page explaining tomcat6w.exe (it's just a rename of tomcat6.exe, correct?),
so that part should be simple enough.  I haven't used JConsole, or JVisualVM
before; any advice or doc pointers?  I realize this is really a java
question, not a Tomcat question, but if it isn't too much trouble....

(BTW, other tasks are piling up, so I will probably have to put this issue
aside for a couple of days.  Please don't think I've given up.)

> > 4. Note that if I stop the Tomcat service, and then start
> > Tomcat from a console using startup.bat, everything works
> > fine -- html, jsp, servlets, db connection....
>
> By "everything", do you mean mytestapp?

Yes, *everything*.  I started using Tomcat 6.0.18 (on Windows) about a month
ago.   During that time, I've built and deployed three webapps - two were
pretty simple, but one was even a little complicated.  I always used
startup.bat, and not once saw a problem.  (Looking at the docs, I figured
that installing the TC service would be a piece of cake -- something I could
do after things were somewhat stable.)

> > Also, there isn't so much as a warning, much less an error
> > message, on startup.
>
> When running as a service, or as a regular program, or both?

Both.  I get several lines printed in the java console when using
startup.bat, but they all start with "INFO:" and appear to be completely
normal.

> > I did a completely clean extract again and tried to visit both
> > http://localhost:8080/examples and http://localhost:8080/docs.
> > I see the exact same endless wait.
>
> But the Tomcat default home page works?  Is this page possibly just being
> cached by the browser?

I've been bitten by browser caching so many times that I try to keep it
turned off all the time.  I really thought I'd double checked this, but I
just went back and tried again, and it appears you are right.  I now see the
same wait behavior when visiting the default page.  Sorry, kind of
embarrassing since I certainly meant to check this.  Don't know how I
goofed.  I guess I've been trying so many things...

> > I could not find a file in the logs directory that gets updated
> > at all when I hit the server from a browser.
>
> You have to uncomment the AccessLogValve near the bottom of
> conf/server.xml.  However, I don't think this logs anything until a
> response is sent.

OK; good to know.

> > 2. Following the documentation, I uninstalled the Tomcat
> > service and tried to run it as
> > tomcat6.exe //TS//Tomcat6 --other-startup-params
>
> I think you misunderstood the doc.  You have to use //IS// first to
> install the service, after which you can run it with //TS// from the
> command prompt.

Ouch, another goof.  Sorry, I'll go back and re-read.

> 1) Is this a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows?

32-bit.

> 2) What JVM do have have installed?

1.6.0_10 (build 33)

> 3) When you run tomcat6w.exe, what does the Java tab show (all fields,
> please)?

As I mentioned, I need to catch up on other tasks.  So I'll let you know as
soon as I can get to trying this out.


Thanks.
-andrew


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: andrew [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)
>
> I've seen the Tomcat doc page explaining tomcat6w.exe
> (it's just a rename of tomcat6.exe, correct?),

No, it's a completely different program; it's a GUI tool to manage the Tomcat service.

> I haven't used JConsole, or JVisualVM before;

Use JConsole first, and run it locally on the same machine that Tomcat is running on.  Set the -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote in the Java Options space of the Java tab of tomcat6w.exe (or in the CATALINA_OPTS environment variable when running via startup.bat).  Don't be afraid to click on things.  Look at the Threads tab to see who's doing what.

JVisualVM provides most of what JConsole does, along with thread and heap profiling, but I find it a bit more confusing.  Best thing is to just try them, then ask questions for things you can't figure out.

There's doc for both on the java.sun.com web site, but I don't find it as helpful as just trying it.

> Looking at the docs, I figured that installing the TC
> service would be a piece of cake

It should be; we still have no idea why your particular environment is causing problems.

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

andrew-245
OK, I have a *procedural* resolution to my issue, however I do not yet
understand the underlying functional mechanism to my satisfaction.  For
those who only care about the bottom line, here it is:

* If you want to use Tomcat as a Windows service, use the .zip Tomcat
* distribution, not the .tar.gz distribution.

I think it is worth elaborating some though.  If anyone out there has
influence on the build and/or documentation, I hope you will read further.

1. Rainer Jung suggested that the behavior difference I see between the two
distros could be expained by line-ending differences/incompatibilities
(particularly in config files).  This does NOT appear to be true in my case.
I've looked at the .xml files in the /conf directory, and they have *nix
style line endings in BOTH distros.

  1.1. The fact that the .tar.gz version is so close to correct on Windows,
makes me hope to eventually track down the precise cause of failure; it
might be interesting.  Remember, I have seen Tomcat work flawlessly for more
than a month when run as an app, and the Windows service installs without
visible error.  It is only that the server won't return pages when run as a
service.

2. If the .tar.gz archive is targeted for *nix only, it sure would be nice
if this was stated explicitly on the download page:
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi

   2.1. I followed the README link -- it only goes to a page that says
"Hosted by Linux resources"
   2.2. In the file RUNNING.txt, there is also no explicit mention of
differences.  In fact, I get the strong impression that both are equivalent
since the instructions just say to use different startup scripts for the
different platforms.  At very least, can I suggest adding my experience as
"Troubleshooting" issue (4) at the bottom of this file?

3. From what I am seeing, it appears that the .zip and .tar.gz archives were
actually created from different source trees, as oposed to just being
different compressions of the same source.  The differences are minor, but
not attributable to tar version incompatibilities, for example.  If that is
true, then I suggest NOT adding files with extension .exe to the .tar.gz
build/distribution.  Doing so seems like an implicit confirmation that the
distro is meant to be run on Windows.


For those of you who think that I deserved this for being silly enough to
extract the .tar.gz distro on Windows in the first place, well, maybe.
I'll definitely use .zip in the future whenever there is an option.  But
keep in mind that I've used tar quite a bit on Windows -- I haven't seen
anything like this before.  When I first downloaded Tomcat, I remember
thinking it was really cool that it could be offered as a platform
independent "Binary Distribution" thanks to Java.  And man, the failure mode
is subtle -- I didn't see it until after a month of use.


Chuck, sorry to report such a silly resolution.  But I'm still kind of glad
for the experience.  Although a lot of your advice turned out not to be
related to my problem, I'm a better Tomcat user as a result.  Thanks for
your patience.

-andrew








---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: andrew [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)
>
> The fact that the .tar.gz version is so close to correct
> on Windows, makes me hope to eventually track down the
> precise cause of failure; it might be interesting.

I'd also like to know the details if you pursue this, since I often use the .zip on Linux and have, on rare occasion, tried the .tar.gz on Windows.

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

Mark Thomas-2
In reply to this post by andrew-245
andrew wrote:
> 3. From what I am seeing, it appears that the .zip and .tar.gz archives
> were actually created from different source trees, as oposed to just
> being different compressions of the same source.  The differences are
> minor, but not attributable to tar version incompatibilities, for
> example.

The .zip and .tar.gz are generated from exactly the same source. I would be
interested in seeing a list of your differences.

Mark


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

Rainer Jung-3
In reply to this post by andrew-245
Disclaimer: the following results were obtained by using Unix tools to
extract the official zip and targz binary downloads.

On 12.12.2008 21:31, andrew wrote:

> * If you want to use Tomcat as a Windows service, use the .zip Tomcat
> * distribution, not the .tar.gz distribution.
>
> I think it is worth elaborating some though. If anyone out there has
> influence on the build and/or documentation, I hope you will read further.
>
> 1. Rainer Jung suggested that the behavior difference I see between the
> two distros could be expained by line-ending
> differences/incompatibilities (particularly in config files). This does
> NOT appear to be true in my case. I've looked at the .xml files in the
> /conf directory, and they have *nix style line endings in BOTH distros.

Sorry, I wanted to get one possible factor out of your problem. I double
checked. In fact it looks like Rémy switched his release procedure from
a Windows based to a Linux based machine. With 6.0.14 the files were
basically Windows files, except for those that were explicitely fixed to
Unix-style using ant immediately before putting them into the targz.

6.0.18 seems to be build on *nix, so all files are basically *nix types
and the previous switch to *nix for certain files has not been replaced
to a switch to Windows type for those. That's why you now have *nix type
files for config etc. It slipped my attention.

The only files with special treatment in the bin distribution are bat
and sh files, which we set to their native line ends, and binary
formats, which remain unchanged, independently form the build platform.
All other files seem to be *nix (like config files). Most of them (but
not all), where Windows type at least until 6.0.14.

> 3. From what I am seeing, it appears that the .zip and .tar.gz archives
> were actually created from different source trees, as oposed to just
> being different compressions of the same source. The differences are
> minor, but not attributable to tar version incompatibilities, for
> example. If that is true, then I suggest NOT adding files with extension
> .exe to the .tar.gz build/distribution. Doing so seems like an implicit
> confirmation that the distro is meant to be run on Windows.

 From what i can see inside the official downloads, the contents are the
same except for LICENSE and conf/context.xml, which both have no line at
after the las line in the zip version, and do it in the targz version.
This most likely comes form the fact, that for historical reasons both
files are run through fixcrlf before putting into the targz archive.

So it looks like the files are identical in source (in terms of the code
repository=subversion path and revision), but yes, they are not exactly
identical in the archive (two files with an additional end of line).

> For those of you who think that I deserved this for being silly enough
> to extract the .tar.gz distro on Windows in the first place, well,
> maybe. I'll definitely use .zip in the future whenever there is an
> option. But keep in mind that I've used tar quite a bit on Windows -- I
> haven't seen anything like this before. When I first downloaded Tomcat,
> I remember thinking it was really cool that it could be offered as a
> platform independent "Binary Distribution" thanks to Java. And man, the
> failure mode is subtle -- I didn't see it until after a month of use.

The result of the release process at the moment looks like you can
really use whatever archive format you like on both platforms. I can't
se a relevant difference in the extracted files.

It is questionable though, whether contining *nix config files, license
files etc. is the best way of delivering Tomcat for the Windows
platform. It does work technically, but it might mean some anoyance for
the users (e.g. when using notepad to edit those files).

Regards,

Rainer

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

something_not_in_use
In reply to this post by andrew-245

andrew-245 wrote
I pretty much gave up on the "Permission is denied." problem.  (I have
another vague thought about what was happening if you care, but not the time
or expertise to pinpoint the issue.)   I did a completely clean extract of
the 6.0.18 tar.gz archive, and tried to see if I could install the tomcat
service without having touched anything.  Had immediate success.

Well, I've go the same access denied error and went through the steps above including a new clean extract (of the zip), but same problem. What's your vague thought? Or anyone else with new ideas?
Thanks in advance!
/ Björn
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: something_not_in_use [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)

> I've go the same access denied error and went through the
> steps above including a new clean extract (of the zip),

Since the thread you're responding to is nearly two years old, you'd be much better off starting a new one with your specific Tomcat/JDK/platform version information, problem symptoms, log information, and a description of whatever you've tried so far.  Let's hope you're not using 6.0.18 at this date.

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

Loading...