Quantcast

tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067 error)‏

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067 error)‏

hannes smit-3

Hello all,

I have got a support question to which I cannot find a clear answer in online fora.

My TomCat installation won't start anymore. This morning it worked, I ran jsp and servlets, but now it doesnt.
I use Windows Vista and Apache Tomcat 6.
In the 'services' of windows I tried to manually start tomcat, but I get the following error message:

Could not start the Apache Tomcat 6 service on Local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

in Apache's 'log' folder I find the following entries (repeating endlessly, because I keep on trying! ;-) )
[2009-06-30 11:33:39] [info] Procrun (2.0.4.0) started
[2009-06-30 11:33:39] [info] Running Service...
[2009-06-30 11:33:39] [info] Starting service...
[2009-06-30 11:33:39] [info] Error occurred during initialization of VM
[2009-06-30 11:33:39] [info] java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError
[2009-06-30 11:33:39] [info] : java/lang/Object

What happened in the mean time (between the 'working tomcat' and the 'non-working tomcat'):

- I tried to make my first Servlet and need 'javac' for this, so I installed jdk-6u14-windows-i586
- I added the JDK to the PATH variable in Windows environment
- I rebooted my system
- started Apache TomCat manually (I installed it that way)
- AND GOT THE ERROR (1067)

- I uninstalled Tomcat (It was very new)
- Re-installed Tomcat
- The installer asked if Tomcat may start: YES!
- The icon appeared in my task bar (right bottom), but stayed red
- right mouse on icon 'start service': nothing happens
- then again via 'services' of windows and I got the same error message!

Does it have to do anything with JDK? During installation Tomcat asks for the JRE / JDK location.. I point this to 1.6 (while it asks for 5).. Is that the problem?

What should I do?

Hannes




_________________________________________________________________
Haal meer uit je leven met Windows Live
http://www.microsoft.com/netherlands/windowslive/Views/index.aspx
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067 error)‏

Serge Fonville
> Could not start the Apache Tomcat 6 service on Local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

Just a few

What is your exact location of the JDK and is it different if you do
not specify it in the path.
what is your JAVA_HOME set to
If you revert the changes, does the problem go away
Have you seen this behaviour on other systems
What tomcat version are you using
Where did you install tomcat
Did you try a manual installation (zip) instead of using the installer

If you clear the log file
Could you post everything form start to error?

Also, when I have the time I'll post a step by step I use to install
tomcat under windows

HTH

Regards,

Serge Fonville

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067 error)‏

hannes smit

In response to you questions:

javac is at C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_14\bin

I removed C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_14\bin; from the PATH in windows: no difference when starting service

I have no JAVA_HOME in environment vars... Should it be there or somewhere else?

revert the changes: I removed the PATH entry. Now I also uninstalled JAva SE Development Kit 6 update 14 (Java 6 Update 14 is still there)

I've never seen trouble like this on other systems (it's my first experience with tomcat)

version: I installed apache-tomcat-6.0.20 (the windows (exe) installer) at C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0


No I reboot, and try Tomcat Again. The log:

[2009-06-30 12:35:15] [info] Procrun (2.0.4.0) started

[2009-06-30 12:35:15] [info] Running Service...

[2009-06-30 12:35:15] [info] Starting service...

[2009-06-30 12:35:17] [info] Error occurred during initialization of VM

[2009-06-30 12:35:17] [info] java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError

[2009-06-30 12:35:17] [info] : java/lang/Object

[2009-06-30 12:54:23] [info] Procrun (2.0.4.0) started

[2009-06-30 12:54:23] [info] Running Service...

[2009-06-30 12:54:23] [info] Starting service...

[2009-06-30 12:54:23] [info] Error occurred during initialization of VM

[2009-06-30 12:54:23] [info] java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError

[2009-06-30 12:54:23] [info] : java/lang/Object


(it started automatically during system start up, and then I tried it manually again!)

(this try was without jdk 1.6 and withouth the path variable)

So, what about JAVA_HOME and do you think you can solve this?

In the mean time I try to un-install tomcat and reinstall it (just with the exe, because this worked before!)

Hannes


> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:09:51 +0200
> Subject: Re: tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067 error)‏
> To: [hidden email]
>
> > Could not start the Apache Tomcat 6 service on Local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.
>
> Just a few
>
> What is your exact location of the JDK and is it different if you do
> not specify it in the path.
> what is your JAVA_HOME set to
> If you revert the changes, does the problem go away
> Have you seen this behaviour on other systems
> What tomcat version are you using
> Where did you install tomcat
> Did you try a manual installation (zip) instead of using the installer
>
> If you clear the log file
> Could you post everything form start to error?
>
> Also, when I have the time I'll post a step by step I use to install
> tomcat under windows
>
> HTH
>
> Regards,
>
> Serge Fonville
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

_________________________________________________________________
Nieuws, entertainment en de laatste roddels. Je vind het op MSN.nl!
http://nl.msn.com/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067 error)‏

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: Hannes Smit [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: RE: tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067
> error)‏
>
> I have no JAVA_HOME in environment vars... Should it be there or
> somewhere else?

No environment variables are used by the service, so you don't need it.

> No I reboot, and try Tomcat Again. The log:
> [2009-06-30 12:35:17] [info] Error occurred during initialization of VM

This would indicate the JVM isn't where the service wrapper thinks it is.  Run the tomcat6w.exe program, go to the Java tab, clear the "Use default" box if it's set, and enter the correct path to jvm.dll in the "Java Virtual Machine" line; for your installation, it should be:
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_14\bin\client\jvm.dll

Reinstalling Tomcat will probably fix it as well.  The problem was created when you changed JVMs out from under Tomcat.

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067 error)‏

hannes smit


Thanks Chuck, Serge

I installed jdk 5, jre 5, jdk 6 and jre 6 and apache tomcat again
Then I added the 1.6 jdk to the PATH of windows
I modified in tomcat6w the path to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_14\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll (don't know why jre is there.. but it works).

Now CMD: 'java' works (it gave the same error as the logs gave about VM)
and 'javac' works since I put this path in PATH at the beginning instead of the end!  (probably something goes wrong in this PATH reading...

It seems that my TomCat is working!!!! Lets build my first Web service!

Thanks to you both!!!!



> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:08:14 -0500
> Subject: RE: tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067 error)‏
>
> > From: Hannes Smit [mailto:[hidden email]]
> > Subject: RE: tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067
> > error)‏
> >
> > I have no JAVA_HOME in environment vars... Should it be there or
> > somewhere else?
>
> No environment variables are used by the service, so you don't need it.
>
> > No I reboot, and try Tomcat Again. The log:
> > [2009-06-30 12:35:17] [info] Error occurred during initialization of VM
>
> This would indicate the JVM isn't where the service wrapper thinks it is.  Run the tomcat6w.exe program, go to the Java tab, clear the "Use default" box if it's set, and enter the correct path to jvm.dll in the "Java Virtual Machine" line; for your installation, it should be:
> C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_14\bin\client\jvm.dll
>
> Reinstalling Tomcat will probably fix it as well.  The problem was created when you changed JVMs out from under Tomcat.
>
>  - Chuck
>
>
> THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

_________________________________________________________________
Gratis emoticons voor in je Messenger!
http://www.msnmessengerexperience.nl/chuck/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067 error)‏

Caldarale, Charles R
> From: Hannes Smit [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: RE: tomcat 6 service on local computer could not start (1067
> error)‏
>
> I installed jdk 5, jre 5, jdk 6 and jre 6

Overkill?

> I modified in tomcat6w the path to C:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_14\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll (don't know why jre is
> there.. but it works).

Within each JDK is a so-called private JRE; you can use that or the public JRE that you also installed.

> since I put this path in PATH at the beginning instead of the end!

If you poke around in C:\Windows\system32 you'll likely find a java.exe and possibly some other Java-related launchers.  I think these are installed when you put in a public JRE, but they may well be inappropriate for the levels you're using.  Putting the JDK's bin directory first insures that will be searched before system32.

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Loading...