tomcat can't find suitable driver for mysql

tomcat can't find suitable driver for mysql

Barry Kimelman-4
my system is ubuntu 20.04
I am running tomcat 9.0.37
I can run java based mysql programs from the terminal command line with no
problems

I have installed tomcat under /opt/tomcat/latest
under /opt/tomcat/latest/lib I have installed the jar file for mysql

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1007505 Jul 13 10:54
/opt/tomcat/latest/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.47-bin.jar

In my build.xml I have the following lines

131   <property name="catalina.home" value="/opt/tomcat/latest"/>

186     <!-- Include all elements that Tomcat exposes to applications -->
187     <fileset dir="${catalina.home}/bin">
188       <include name="*.jar"/>
189     </fileset>
190     <pathelement location="${catalina.home}/lib"/>
191     <fileset dir="${catalina.home}/lib">
192       <include name="*.jar"/>
193     </fileset>

However after I compile and install the application, when I try to run it
my application traps the following error

java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for
jdbc:mysql://localhost/qwlc?autoReconnect=true&useSSL=false

What am I missing ? Why can't my tomcat app find the mysql class ?

==================

Barry Kimelman
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: tomcat can't find suitable driver for mysql

Barry Kimelman-4
An update :

I have now installed the same JAR file under tomcat that I used from the
command line
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1007502 Jul 13 15:25
/opt/tomcat/latest/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.47.jar

However the same error still occurs.

--

==================

Barry Kimelman
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: tomcat can't find suitable driver for mysql

Barry Kimelman-4
I should also mention this is the same JAVA code I had running under Tomcat
9.0.14 running under Windows 10 where it ran with no problems.

--

==================

Barry Kimelman
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

RE: tomcat can't find suitable driver for mysql

jonmcalexander
Is this path included in your classpath or in one of the .loaders in the catalina.properties file?
/opt/tomcat/latest/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.47-bin.jar

Dream * Excel * Explore * Inspire
Jon McAlexander
Asst Vice President

Middleware Product Engineering
Enterprise CIO | Platform Services | Middleware | Infrastructure Solutions

8080 Cobblestone Rd | Urbandale, IA 50322
MAC: F4469-010
Tel 515-988-2508 | Cell 515-988-2508

[hidden email]

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: tomcat can't find suitable driver for mysql

Barry Kimelman-4
But what about the lines

191     <fileset dir="${catalina.home}/lib">
192       <include name="*.jar"/>
193     </fileset>

in the build.xml file ? Aren't those supposed to expose all the JAR files
under the tomcat lib directory to all apps ?

--

==================

Barry Kimelman
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

wrote:

> Is this path included in your classpath or in one of the .loaders in
> the catalina.properties file?
> /opt/tomcat/latest/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.47-bin.jar
>

> Dream * Excel * Explore * Inspire
> Jon McAlexander
> Asst Vice President
>
> Middleware Product Engineering
> Enterprise CIO | Platform Services | Middleware | Infrastructure
> Solutions
>
> 8080 Cobblestone Rd | Urbandale, IA 50322
> MAC: F4469-010
> Tel 515-988-2508 | Cell 515-988-2508
>
> [hidden email]
>

> This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
> If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
> addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
> on this message or any information herein. If you have received this
> message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
> and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

calder
On Mon, Jul 13, 2020, 15:22 Barry Kimelman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> my system is ubuntu 20.04
> I am running tomcat 9.0.37

I can run java based mysql programs from the terminal command line with no
> problems

In my build.xml I have the following lines

So, you're attempting run in Eclipse?  Or using Maven?

It's also important to note that "things" run differently on Linux vs
Windows.

Re: tomcat can't find suitable driver for mysql

Re: tomcat can't find suitable driver for mysql

Barry Kimelman-4
I have found a solution. I modified /etc/environment to include  a
definition of CLASSPATH, rebooted, and now it seems to be working just fine.

--

Barry Kimelman
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada