web.xml mime-mappings

Baron Fujimoto
Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question.

I usually base our config files off of the sample config files as a starting point.

The sample web.xml contains many mime-mapping elements (1000+ I think). Is there any good reason to include these if your application isn't going to use the vast majority of these mime-types? I.e., is it recommended to edit it down to just those that the application is likely to use? It seems like it would be less unwieldy if I did this, but I just want to make sure there's no compelling downside to it.

--
Baron Fujimoto <[hidden email]> :: UH Information Technology Services
minutas cantorum, minutas balorum, minutas carboratum desendus pantorum

Re: web.xml mime-mappings

Luis Rodríguez Fernández
Hello Baron,

There are no dumb questions, no worries :)

Are you referring to the $CATALINA_BASE/conf/web.xml by chance? This is the
default web.xml [1] that defines default values for all the webapps
deployed in your tomcat server. Me personally I rarely modify it.

 Me, as a sample web.xml I usually take either the one distributed in the
always good $CATALINA_BASE/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/web.xml or the one from
the classic "hello, world" app [2]

Hope it helps,

Luis

[1] https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/default-servlet.html
[2] https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/appdev/sample/

El jue., 1 nov. 2018 a las 3:01, Baron Fujimoto (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question.
>
> I usually base our config files off of the sample config files as a
> starting point.
>
> The sample web.xml contains many mime-mapping elements (1000+ I think). Is
> there any good reason to include these if your application isn't going to
> use the vast majority of these mime-types? I.e., is it recommended to edit
> it down to just those that the application is likely to use? It seems like
> it would be less unwieldy if I did this, but I just want to make sure
> there's no compelling downside to it.
>
> --
> Baron Fujimoto <[hidden email]> :: UH Information Technology Services
> minutas cantorum, minutas balorum, minutas carboratum desendus pantorum

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

- Samuel Beckett